My 2017 collection of useful wine resources has become one of the most read blogs on this site, so here's an updated version containing all the latest wine stats and updated links.
Viti and vini reports - international
The OIV remains a vital repository of global stats relating to wine. The latest (2017) report on viticulture and viniculture can be found here. Their statistical analysis section include loads of other data, including for previous years and in multiple languages. See also the California Wine Institute's useful world statistics pdfs.
Which Winegrapes Are Grown Where? is now five years old, but there's no better free resource giving such detailed records of varieties and their hectarage.
Viti and vini reports - national
To get a more detailed breakdown of production data for specific countries isn't always straightforward. Some countries freely release official data (eg Germany), some require membership (eg Australia), while some don't seem to release any figures (eg Italy).
Here is a selection:
- Argentina: Wines of Argentina technical information (official; English and Spanish) - but not updated since 2011, seemingly
- Australia: most official data requires a subscription, although some freebies are available in the Wine Australia Market insights section
- Austria: Austrian Wine statistics report 2015 - and previous reports are available in their archive (official; English)
- Chile: Wines of Chile archive of wine production (official; English) - most recent edition is 2011
- England: reliable facts on English wine production are notoriously uncertain, but Wine GB has a basic selection here (official; English)
- France: AgriMer figures and balance sheets up to 2017 (official; French)
- Germany: Deutscher Wein Statistik 2017/18 - and lots of other stats (official; English and German)
- New Zealand: New Zealand Winegrowers Annual Report 2017 (official; English)
- Portugal: ViniPortugal statistics 2017 (official; English)
- South Africa: SAWIS statistics (official; English)
- Spain: MAPAMA wine balance (official; Spanish)
- USA / California: Wine Institute 2015 (official; English)
Much official research data remains understandably expensive. But there are still good ways to get similar information for free.
Most of these links concern the UK market, but in many cases you can search within the website to find data for other markets.
- The WSTA facts & figures section comes from the UK wine trade's official body, providing a useful overview of the market.
- GAIN is the US governments Global Agricultural Information Network, which publishes detailed analyses of wine markets around the world. See all their reports here, and search for wine to find the relevant reports. For example, the UK Wine Market Report 2016 report contains a wealth of really detailed information about wine consumption and production trends.
- Sonal Holland MW has produced the first-ever report profiling Indian wine consumers - download the pdf.
Here are a few other resources I have found useful:
- Ablegrape, the wine search engine, now seems to be defunct.
- Complete list of wine appellations around the world (click 'European GIs) in sidebar
- The INAO search engine (French) allows you to find the technical sheets for every French wine appellation
- Regional wine websites on JancisRobinson.com - a list of all official webpages for wine regions around the world
- Wine duty rates for every country in the EU
- I numeri del vino (Italian) has a big archive of statistical analysis on lots of wine-related matters
- My article on JancisRobinson.com about useful figures and calculations relating to wine, including loads of examples
Let me know if you have any additional suggestions to add to these!